- Public Schools of the Tarrytowns
Update on School Budget Vote & Board Elections 2020-2021
On Friday, May 1, 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo issued Executive Order No. 202.26 which modifies the rules under which school districts are to conduct the 2020 Annual Meeting for the election of School Board Members and Budget Votes.
Below is a brief summary of the changes:
Statewide uniform Voting Date
- School board elections and budget votes originally scheduled for May 19, 2020 will now take place on June 9, 2020.
- The manner for providing public notice of the annual meeting remains unchanged, except that the number of required publications has been reduced from four to two.
- The first notice must be no later than 28 days before the election, and include notice for an adjourned budget hearing.
- School districts must send out a postcard notice which details the date of the election, date of the budget hearing, and a definition of qualified voter.
Manner of Voting
- The annual meeting for the election of school board members and budget votes will take place remotely.
- Qualified voters will vote only by absentee ballot.
- School districts must send out an absentee ballot to all qualified voters, with a postage paid return envelope, for any election held on or before June 30, 2020.
- The ballot must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5PM on June 9, 2020.
Nomination of Candidates for the Board of Education
- No minimum number of signatures are required to be obtained under the Executive Order. Therefore, a nominating petition may be submitted with no signatures. While no signatures are required for a self-nomination, individuals must meet all other requirements to be placed on the ballot, including applicable residency and age requirements.
- Candidates will be listed on the ballot alphabetically.
- Deadline for candidates to file a nominating petition is by 5PM on May 11, 2020. Although not addressed in the Executive Order, to ensure the safety and welfare of school board candidates and the District Clerk, nominating petitions can be filed by email or postal mail. Nominating petitions can be sent electronically to Nelly Valentin at: firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail to: Nelly Valentin, District Clerk, Public Schools of the Tarrytowns, 200 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591.
Campaign Expense Statements
- The existing statutory requirement set forth in Education Law Section 1529 for the filing of campaign expense statements with the District Clerk remains unchanged. The first statement is due thirty (30) days before the vote on May 11, 2020; the second statement is due five (5) days before the vote on June 4, 2020; and the third statement is due twenty (20) days after the vote on June 29, 2020. Pursuant to a previous Executive Order, the notary public requirement is waived. The candidate will simply be able to sign a statement attesting to the truth of the contents of the expenditure statement without a notary signature. Education Law Section 1529 allows for mailing of campaign expense statements by the candidate to the District Clerk.
Registering to Vote
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be no personal registration of voters conducted within the District.
- A qualified voter may register to vote in the June 9, 2020 election by registering to vote with the Westchester County Board of Elections. You must register at least twenty-five (25) days before the election. You may contact the Westchester County Board of Elections for additional information at: Westchester County Board of Elections, 148 Martine Avenue, White Plains, New York 10601, or by calling (914) 995-2000, or by their website at: https://citizenparticipation.westchestergov.com/register-to-vote. You may also register through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website at https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/electronic-voter-registration-application
For further information, please contact Nelly Valentin, District Clerk, Public Schools of the Tarrytowns, 200 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591 via phone at 914-332-6241 or email at: email@example.com