- Public Schools of the Tarrytowns
Community Update Letter
August 7, 2020
Dear TUFSD Families and Staff,
I hope this letter finds you and your families safe following the damaging storm this week, and in continued good health. I am writing today to share our weekly updates regarding the District’s Recovery Planning and preparations for the 2020-2021 school year and other important information. Following is the update for this week:
- Reopening Plans: Last week, our district submitted initial reopening plans to the State Education Department. These plans include the three instructional models we were directed to develop: In-Person; Learning from Home; and Blended. This morning, Governor Cuomo announced that all New York schools would be allowed to open based upon the COVID-19 infection rate. We are now awaiting an Executive Order or guidelines from the State Education Department regarding any additional requirements for reopening. At this time, it is our intent to proceed with an AA/BB blended instructional model to start the year. This model has students attending school in-person on either Monday and Tuesday (AA) or Thursday and Friday (BB). All students will be learning from home on Wednesdays, as well as the days on which they are not attending school in person. In addition, we continue to explore the logistics of a remote option. It is important that I continue to stress that these plans are “works in progress” and will continue to evolve over the coming weeks. We will also not hesitate to make changes to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff as we refine our plans and monitor the COVID-19 situation and guidance.
- Communications: All information about our reopening plans is captured in a special section on our website. Look for the Recovery Planning tab in the navigation. In the future, we will continue to send weekly updates and also will be developing school based informational videos and a Q&A document.
- BoE Meetings: Unfortunately, power outages resulting from the storm forced us to cancel the Board of Education meeting scheduled for August 6. That meeting has been rescheduled to Tuesday, August 11 at 7:30PM via Zoom. Additionally, we will be scheduling a meeting dedicated solely to a discussion of our reopening of schools. The Board will set the date and time at the August 11 meeting. To ensure we address all important topics, questions can be submitted in advance using our Recovery Planning Feedback form which can be accessed by clicking here or at the bottom of the Recovery Planning page.
- Family Assistance: We appreciate the challenges that many families have encountered as they support their children with Learning from Home. We want to better understand the barriers and allow parents to participate with us in an exchange of ideas. A parent forum entitled, Student Engagement in a Virtual Learning Environment have been scheduled for Thursday, August 13 from 9:00-10:00am and 6:00-7:00PM in English and on Friday, August 14 from 10:00-11:00am and 6:00 - 7:00pm in Spanish. Please click here to see the event flyer in English or Spanish. Furthermore, our summer student meal distribution at Sleepy Hollow MS, Morse Elementary, and Washington Irving Intermediate will continue until August 21.
- Chromebook Distribution: We appreciate how critical adequate technology is to enabling learning among our students during these times. Today, we are pleased to share that the District has planned for a 1 to 1 Chromebook program for our students. This means that every student in the District will be given a Chromebook to use during the 2020-2021 school year. Distribution days are scheduled for August 18th and 19th from 9AM-3PM and on August 25th from 4-8PM. Those who borrowed a laptop last year and have not yet returned it, may do so at this time, as well. The distribution will occur in front of Sleepy Hollow Middle School.
I encourage you to contact me or your child’s principal with any questions you may have. In the meantime, please continue to look for additional information as it becomes available. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.