Sleepy Hollow High School Inducts 78 Students Into Prestigious National Honor Society
The Public Schools of the Tarrytowns are thrilled to announce the induction of 7 SHHS seniors and 71 juniors into the National Honor Society. This is an incredible honor, as the National Honor Society recognizes only students who meet the requirements of their “four pillars” of scholarship, service, leadership and character. NHS members benefit from the opportunity to attend NHS’s Leadership Experience and Development (LEAD) conferences as well as eligibility for over 400 college scholarship programs that are offered each year.
On the evening of Tuesday, November 9th, SHHS held an induction ceremony for the 78 students chosen by the NHS. In addition to introductory remarks by Principal Debbie Brand and a guest speech by SHHS Class of 2002 graduate Asha Castleberry, the ceremony included music performed by the SHHS Advanced Quartet. NHS Historian Aliya Tang also gave a quick presentation on the history of the NHS at SHHS. At the end of the event, the inductees participated in a candle lighting ceremony celebrating their achievements, which featured five candles representing scholarship, service, leadership, character and knowledge.
“Scholarship is only 25 percent of the reason all of you [inductees] are here this evening,” said Principal Brand in her opening remarks. “The other 75 percent has to do with a lifetime of development. Tonight is about your citizenship, character and humanity. You have so much to be proud of and are truly among the best our school has to offer, and I look forward to seeing your continued growth as students and as people.”
Everyone in the Public Schools of the Tarrytowns are proud of the hard work, dedication and strength of character that these 78 inductees have demonstrated throughout their time at SHHS. We wish them the best in all their future endeavors, from the rest of high school to college and beyond!